• 01.jpg
  • 02.jpg
  • 03.jpg
  • 04.jpg
  • 05.jpg
Welcome to Ootacamund Club

The Ootacamund Club

“Such beautiful English rain & English mud….Imagine Hertfordshire lanes, Devonshire downs, Westmoreland lakes, Scotch trout streams & Lusitanian views.” – Lord Lytton describing the idyllic beauty of Ootacamund & the Nilgiri Hills in a letter to his wife.

 Ootacamund (Ooty) was discovered by the British around 1819, and they flocked there, and as their numbers grew, so did the need for a common meeting ground, & thus the Ootacamund Club came into being in October 1841. The founder of the Club was a Captain Douglas who, together with the 7 other officers of the Madras & Bombay Armies, formed the first committee, Lt. Col. C. D. Dun being the first President. Captain Douglas at first undertook the office of Secretary until the establishment was firmly opened & then handed over this office to Dr. R. Baikie MD MMS who, in default of other qualifications, devoted most of his time & attention to it.

Extracts of a circular dated January 1st , 1842, address to the European residents in India islands, by Dr. Baikie reads “To the Zeal, energy & perseverance of Capt. Douglas – the founder – the Club is indebted for having overcome these difficulties, & having succeeded in founding & opening the Ootacamund Club, now for 3 months in full operation.” The concluding paragraph of his circular reads “Much of it will be seen, has already been done, & with but limited means. It depends on  an enlightened 7 liberal public to assist in carrying out what yet remains to be done, & the committee of management is now appealing to the whole Indian Community for their assistance & support, do so with the more confidence that their object is not only the limited one of adding to the comfort & convenience of  a few, but the far higher one of smoothing the pillows & raising the languishing head of sickness & sorrow – of affording  so far as may be, to the numerous sufferers from the effects of a tropical climate, a substitute for those comforts & conveniences otherwise only procurable in their native land, which they are forbidden by distance, want of time, & means, to partake of at their source.” This circular, without doubt, is a clear insight as to the how & why Clubs in India came into being.  Read More...

Club Hall

The Club, at this time, hade 360 members, membership being open to “All members of H. M. & the Hon’ble Company’s Civil , Military & Service, & gentlemen of the mercantile or other professions, moving in the ordinary circle of Indian society.”  

Suite Room


The large Ballroom is adorned with well preserved hunting trophies – obviously donated by members - & include tiger, leopard, bear skins, bison, sambur deer heads. To the right of the Mixed Bar is a second bar dedicated to the memory of Col. Jago who, as a Captain in the Army, introduced jackal hunting in Ooty in 1872.

Dining Hall

The building functioned as a hotel from 1833 to 1834, when it was rented for a short period by Lord William Bentick, Governor General of Fort William at this time & later the first Governor General of India. It reverted to a hotel till December 1835, when it was rented to the Governor Sir Frederick Adam till September 1836. It reverted to a hotel till end   now a Lt. Col, & eight others – originators of the Ootacamund club.


Today, the Club has 632 members with a membership base form all the major cities in India, 7 is fondly referred to as the “Snooty Ooty Club” as also “The Morgue” – thanks to its many hunting trophies. Heritage & tradition are firmly entrenched within its walls, & have been zealously guarded & upheld by generations of members.